Candidates for my affection

Well, if you are going to date you may as well share it with the entire world right? This started as way for me to share my dating-as-a-single-mom experiences with my friends and my group of 'friends' has grown! Jump in and post :)

Monday, April 11, 2005

Sluts and Independence

Steve recently wrote a post on games are for children on sluts. 'Slut', to me, is such an outdated word as well as a horrendous double standard. In a time when it was not ok for women to want to have sex, 'slut' was used on any woman who stepped out side the box. If you look up the word 'slut' on dictionary.com, the definition is:
A woman considered sexually promiscuous.
A woman prostitute.
A slovenly woman; a slattern.
Notice how it only references women? Why? Because it has always been ok for men to go out and have as much sex as they wanted. In fact, in some cases, it is encouraged. But, if a woman does the same thing, she is considered a 'slut'.


Why am I going on about this? Because there is similar misconception in my comment box below. A few weeks ago,
I wrote about independent women and LD responded with:
"Having dated an "independent, outgoing, energetic" women, I have found it poses numerous problems. I wanted the relationship to work like a democracy - all important decisions would be discussed and decided on together. She would have none of that; she just wanted to do her own thing without even caring for my opinion. How dare I tell her what to do? I would definatelly listen to her thoughts, but than she could care less for the things that I did. Since she never did care about my opinion, whenever I had a chance to express it I was increasingly hostile towards the things she did. Is that any way to have a healthy relationship? Our last conversation was the worst, I have prepared several particularly hurtful comments which I threw at her. Of course, then she delivered the ultimate knockout punch by saying right there she is breaking up with me.
I'm not sure I want a women that is needy, but I definatelly would not want someone like that again. -LD"

See? This is exactly what I am talking about! Men hear independent and they think control freak.
I had thought that being able to do things for myself would be more of a turn on. I am the furthest thing from 'needy'. Why? Because I have had to learn how to take care of myself and my children in every way possible and I am glad that I can. Why is that so scary?
Being scared of an independent woman and using words like 'slut' are both outdated. We aren't living in a time where women need men to take care of every little thing for them any more than we are living in a time where women are sluts for exploring their sexuality.

~Kate

2 Comments:

  • At 2:18 PM, Blogger Ld said…

    Kate,

    I think you misunderstood what I meant. It's great that women are independent, the problem is that in a reationship the two people should depend on one another, not have some sort of a miniature cold war. So, in other words:

    Too needy: "Will you allow me to do X?"
    Too independent: "I'm doing X."
    Just right: "I'm doing X, is that OK with you?"

    (Where X is some important decision)

    And I think guys should do the same, otherwise it simply wont work.

    -LD (A Billion Different Universes)

     
  • At 6:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LD-
    I don't think that you were necessarily with an "independent woman" rather than a "selfish independent woman."

    I am sure most "independent women" out there will agree with me when we say that a true independent women know how to mix love and life. Any relationship that has lasted a month or longer is worth compromise, and part of compromise isn't giving up who you are but allowing your SO to enjoy who you are.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home