Candidates for my affection

Well, if you are going to date you may as well share it with the entire world right? This started as way for me to share my dating-as-a-single-mom experiences with my friends and my group of 'friends' has grown! Jump in and post :)

Friday, March 18, 2005

Speed Dating

Ok, I have heard about this before. I have seen it mocked on TV, read ads for it... but today is the very first time I have considered it. Of course, I am only considering it for all of you. Just diligently serving my readers :P Actually, I was looking at various Single Parent groups for San Antonio and came across a site for 'Pre-Dating'. I thought I owe it to them [ya'll] to give this a try! So, I emailed the girly in charge of it and I am waiting for her response. I mean, how much more bizarre could it be that online dating. Plus, I love the premise of 'pre-dating'... No wasted time. [remember?]

Their pitch:
Busy and Single?
Everyone's been talking about it and you've probably seen the concept on popular TV shows but have you gone to one yet? Pre-Dating is a fun and efficient way for busy singles to meet. You'll meet up to a dozen others in your age and interest group through a series of six minute "pre-dates" at a local club, café, or restaurant. We facilitate the whole thing so there's no awkwardness, no pressure, no embarrassment and no games...just great fun! Afterwards, if there's a mutual interest, we'll send you an email with each other's contact info so you can arrange your "first" date. Think of the time this saves you looking for someone you're compatible with. Over two-thirds of participants get at least one match! Remember, now there's a better way. Before you date...Pre-Date!


Not bad.. intriguing to say the least and they have a division for single parents... The cost? $32.00 which isn't horrible. Anyway, I am going to wait for the girly to email me back and then... we'll see. And I, of course, will let ya'll know :)

~Kate

2 Comments:

  • At 4:03 PM, Blogger monica said…

    FYI, I tried speed dating once and found it to be a lot like an interrogation. I was kind of tired of being grilled. So, what's your name? Divorced? Kids? What do you do? (Not only did these guys keep cutting me off when I tried to ask them questions, the second I gave the "wrong" answer, they'd stop talking and just sit there.)

    Then the really old guys (in their 50's) complained to the lady running the whole shindig because she didn't allow for them to be introduced to us 20-something women. She already knows we aren't interested because she asks us ahead of time!!! That's why there were two groups going, hello!

    Wasn't really my thing, but might've been the crowd. Seriously, most men are jerks when they think it won't follow them.

    This is why if you find one that knows how to treat women, you gotta hold on to him! ;)

     
  • At 2:36 PM, Blogger Karen said…

    I met my wonderful boyfriend at speed dating (my first and only experience with it.) It is definitely an experience.

    The service I used assumed that you would want to date people in the same age category as you. (You could participate in the category one year older or younger than you are.)

    Yes, it is a lot like what cnfg described. Interrogation. You meet people who are just plain weird, who are hostile towards your sex or are hostile towards the whole dating process or are clearly still hung up on their exBF/exGFs. I think the fact that it's a contrived and trying experience gives you the PERFECT opportunity to see someone as they really are. For instance, I showed up with a spreadsheet so I could take notes on every guy I spoke with. (In reality, I am obsessive about keeping records.) I asked just about every guy what he did for a living, where he lived, what his hobbies were, what his age was. (In reality, I want to know if he *likes* what he is doing for a living, if he is family oriented/dependent on his parents/independent/likes living with roommates, what his interests are. And I care about age.) I volunteered the same information.

    In the end, the men that I was most attracted to were those that were a good sport about it. Of COURSE 23 of the 25 women you meet will ask you the standard questions... Some pissed and moaned about it. I liked the guys (my BF included) that laughed about it just being part of the process. (In reality, my boyfriend doesn't sweat most of the small stuff.)

    It was worth going to. I got to weed out the jerks (those who thought I gave a wrong answer or those who thought I wasn't a quick and easy lay) right away. I still tell stories to people about the speed dating guy reading the Hulk Hogan book... Or the hunchback that rejected me. ;)

    (P.S. Congrats on becoming a team member of Games Are for Children. I enjoy reading your comments because your dating life has been very different than mine.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home